Back to another monster from Mansions of Madness. This week I have the Mi-Go models – odd looking fly/bat/mosquito creatures that like to eat brains. I went for an other-worldly look with pink and purple skin and blue carapace, and of course, blood.
I used two main techniques on the Mi-Go: drybrush and wash. This allowed them to be done relatively quickly while still pulling out the details.
Step 1: Base Colors
After a white primer, I painted all the base colors to get a sense of where each would go. This has been particularly hard for the Mi-Go as they were going to be pinks and blues – which can get a bit garish if not balanced well.
Step 2: Dry Brush Electric Blue
The first layer was doing the carapace. I chose to do dry brush from this model for two reasons: it would be quick, and it has lots of textures that work well with dry brushing. So grabbing my small dry brush, I applied a layer of Electric Blue over all the blue areas. If I got it on the skin, I re-applied some Warlord Purple to clean it up.
Step 3: Dry Brush Pink
Now moving back to the skin, I dry brushed it with Squid Pink. This was the base color of the fleshy wings which helps bring them together rather than looking disjointed.
Here I had to start being careful with the dry brush so it wouldn’t get on the blue. But I wasn’t as concerned with keeping it smooth as the washes would fix many of the errors.
Step 4: More Pink, well Flesh
Next was to bring all the highlights together by dry brushing the whole model with Pale Flesh. This seems a bit odd on the blue, but by sharing a highlight it makes the model look more natural (well as natural as an otherworldly being could be).
The dry brush does start to look a bit dusty at this stage but will soon be rectified with the washes.
Step 5: Red Wash
Now for the fun parts: adding some washes. I love washes as it does two things: it adds shadows instantly and softens color transitions. This is extra helpful with dry brushing as all the later, dusty looking layers get softened a bit to look more like layers.
I started with a straight red wash, in this case, Baal Red (yeah still using some GW colors :-).
Step 6: Blue Wash
And then we get crazy. The pink was too much for me, more candy-like and not monster-like enough. So I added a bit of Prussian Blue (very dark shade) to the Baal Red wash to create a dark purple. It ended up being more of a glaze, being a bit thicker than the wash which worked out well. The pinks turned to more of a magenta-purple, and it added a nice cool shade to the veiny wings.
Step 7: Blood
And to give them even more monster scary powers (and highlight their snack), I added blood effects. This was the same formula for the Cultists and Maniacs. A base layer of dark red was splotch around with a brighter red layered inside.
I focused the effects on the brain, claws, and mouth/tentacle things. It helps to bring the focus back to the head since most of the model is now purple/blue.
- Skin: Game Color Warlord Purple, Squid Pink, Model Color Pale Flesh
- Carapace: Game Color Hexed Purple, Game Color Electic Blue
- Wings: Game Color Squid Pink, Model Color Pale Flesh
- Head: one was done with Model Color Mahogany Brown and the other with Basic Skintone, Pale Flesh
- Brain: Squid Pink then dry brushed with Game Color Stonewall Gray
- Wash: Baal Red, Baal Red + Model Color Prussian Blue (~4:1)
- Blood: Model Color Red, Game Color Bloody Red, Gloss Medium
I know some of you are getting tired of the Mansions of Madness models, but fear not! I am nearing the end of the set and getting ready to build some more 40k models. Or, more likely, I will be mixing it up more.
Join Broken Paintbrush
Get updates from Broken Paintbrush straight to your email including exclusive materials before they are released on the blog.