So life is getting back to the new normal again, started a new job, our house sale has closed, and we can start looking for a house to buy. In the mean time I took the inspiration left in my last update post and started building out a Librarius from the new Space Marine codex.
I already converted the Librarian from the Dark Vengeance kit, and while I considered buying the new models from GW, I decided that it would be much more enjoyable to hack together my own from bits on hand.
First up was the Dark Angels Company Master, Balthasar in his striking robes and huge sword. Fairly straight forward on this guy as I just removed the DA insignia from the robes and gauntlets, replaced his head, and added a Psychic Hood from the archives of From the Warp. The head is from the Centurion kit but couldn’t tell you where the back ordainment came from.
Librarian number two was originally the Ultramarine captain from the Assault on Black Reach set. I didn’t like the front though, so I added a new chest piece and covered up the leg gaps with the new loin cloth. The staff was built up from a chain sword hand, the lance from the new AdMech walker, and a mace from the Chaos Knights. Each piece was drilled through and a long pin holds it all together. The left arm is just a bolter hand where I hope to make magical flames appear. A few extra bits and bobs complete the look and cover up some gaps.
And finally, number three is the most adventurous of the new librarians. I wanted one with a jump pack to join the assault marines I need to build next (to complete the demi-company). The body is from the plastic Captain model, assault marine legs, and the original arm from the DA librarian above. The extended hand is from the pintle mounted storm bolter with the palm carved out and more magical flames added.
I then started laying down the base paints to block out each area. Clearly lots of blue, as is fitting for librarians. As with my first librarian, I left the shoulder pads the Mentor green and white as well as the layers of robes. Accents were done with yellow and red which also match the rest of my army.
I then went back through each and highlighted with the base color, which gets them to table-top ready – but a ways to go before completion.
Next step is to add additional highlights to each color, paint up the faces, and add decals/details to the armor and cloaks. The bases are also only base colored and washed. Still plenty to do, but having fun working on them.
Join Broken Paintbrush
Get updates from Broken Paintbrush straight to your email including exclusive materials before they are released on the blog.