40k, Finished Works, Mentor Legion
Leave a comment

Mentor Legion Space Marine Centurions

OK so when I first saw these guys in the White Dwarf, I pretty much hated how the Space Marine Centurion models looked. They were¬†awkward and too busy, but after visiting my local GW and saw the manager’s assembled unit I was able to gain a whole new appreciation for the models. Is is silly for a marine in armour to wear amour? yes, but mechanics have a realm of feasibility. The exception to this for me is the under-hung guns on the assault version, I get that they are taking the same look from the Ironclad, but they look way too fragile down there.

Any way, I picked up a kit and built out a devastator unit for my Mentors. I present Squad 3 of the 9th Company lead by Brother-Sergeant Koninmund.

Mentor Legion Centurion Devastator Squad

 

I did a bit of small adjustments to the model, most noticeable was switching out a few heads. I also cut apart the most static of the leg poses to give more of a walking motion (more on that below).

Mentor Legion Centurion Devastator Squad

 

I’m a big fan of the Grav Cannon, in part because it is new and different than a couple more lascannons. It also gave me a chance to try some more glowing lights, this time green on red. I think they turned out much better and may need to go back and fix the dreadnought’s.

 

 

Mentor Legion Centurion Devastator Squad

 

For the raptor icon for the Mentor badge I again used the decals from the Raptor’s sheet and painted the red over it. It take a bit longer, but I think helps create a more repeatable result.

 

Mentor Legion Centurion Devastator Squad

 

I also spent a good deal of time on the bases and mud splatter. Much of the color comes again from the weathering powders which I am slowly starting to get the hang of.

 

Mentor Legion Centurion

 

So the leg adjustment on this guy helped create a much more dynamic look than the very posed, static look out of the box. The down side is I had to cut and adjust 5 different pieces to make it all work. The front leg armour was cut apart at the knee break, the hip shield was separated from the groin shield, the actual marine leg was cut at the knee and hip, the leg pistons were cut at the knee rotator to allow a slight angle, and the back pistons connecting the legs to the back was cut and rotated. The only gaps that really needed to be filled were the knee and hip joints with the ribbed under-armour. In the end I believe the work was worth it, but clearly not enough to do on all three of the guys, maybe if I build up a second squad in the future….

 

Join Broken Paintbrush

40k pile of wip

Get updates from Broken Paintbrush straight to your email including exclusive materials before they are released on the blog.

Powered by ConvertKit